A Magic Place

A Magic Place
The lovliest little village on the Cote d' Azur and occasionally it's mine.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Almost As Good As Sex!

Mini blog here. Just arrived by train in Beaune, France, epicenter, so to speak of the wine scene in Burgundy. 20 minutes in, we're already off to a little sidewalk cafe and a 6 page wine menu, whoa, you gotta be kiddin' me! Too much, overload, think I'll just have a nice bottle of a Macon blanc(unoaked Chardonnay) Yummy but, wow, at 13.5% and on a relatively empty stomach, I sure feel that!
Back to the Auberge du Burguignonne for a bit of a lie down.
The Auberge, a restaurant with some nice rooms upstairs, had looked promising as this evenings destination, so... reservation made.
7h30, a sweet little dining room awaits. Cocktail? Sure, I'll have a kir (white wine & cassis liquor and Sandy has a cremant & frambois liquor (local sparkling wine and raspberry liquor). Oh yeah, we're on our way now!
Monsieur desiree un entree, oui, yes I would like an appitizer. Why do they call it an entree? Oh, OK, start, enter, I get it!
Oui , I would like the escargot bourguignonne (local snails served in the shell with butter, garlic and parsley) hey! This is where they started! Think I'll have a glass , oops, one for Sandy too, of Aligote (white chablis) to wash them down.
OK, moment of truth for Sandy. No arm twisting on my part at all, she's gung-ho, and she's all liquored up. Here goes, I love um, she's screwing up the courage. Now then, that wasn't so bad, was it? No she says, there not really bad at all. Wow!!!
Can you belive that!! Sop up the butter and garlic with the endless slices of baguette.
Tonight, all the Burgandy cliches. Next, beouf bourguignonne. A beef stew of good red wine with mushrooms and pearl onions served with buttered noodles. Oh yeah. But... best of all the wine. I love Burgundy wine, but, a bit pricey is a fitting description. Tonight, almost no holds barred. A 2006 Aloxe-Corton (half bottle) oughta do the trick.
Rapturous, yes rapturous best describes it! Sandy's with me on this one, her eyes almost rolling back in her head with delght. She think's it taste like velvet. Oui!
Monsieur-madam would like desert. God I'm full and I know I shouldn't, but what the hell. For me, fresh pears poached in red Burgundy and Sandy had a homemade creme brulee made with bourbon vanilla. her's was awesome but mine was.... well, better. Actually it was better than better.
Coffee? Sure, why not! Tiny little pot of mud (expresso) appears, I did't even think I liked this stuff! Oh yeah! So we totter off and up the stairs to our room, god I'm glad I don't have to drive, and I fall into bed, and, oh yes, in a bit of a drunken haze I write this crazy little post.
Avoir,
KC

Sorry, no pics for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment