A Magic Place

A Magic Place
The lovliest little village on the Cote d' Azur and occasionally it's mine.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Elvis Sighting by Sandy in the South of France



Last night I went to my first French wedding. We were honored by the bride and groom with a seat the at their table. I was seated across from the evening's entertainment, an Elvis impersonator. He was here because our hosts and many of their friends are huge Elvis fans. Luckily for me he spoke very good English. He explained that it was important for him to be able to speak English because he wanted to understand what he was singing. I have never been a big Elvis fan. I guess because he seemed like an old man to me when I was a young woman. I was 20 when he died at the age of 42 and let's face it - he should have stopped wearing those jumpsuits by then. I have to honestly say I had been even less impressed by the impersonators - at least until last night.

Manu, whose stage name is Melvis Bouvey changed my mind. At 41 years old he was physically fit and bore some resemblence to Elvis - as we say in America the "young Elvis". Born and growing up in France, Melvis was 8 years old when Elvis died yet he still had become an adoring fan. As he talked I realized he viewed our Elvis as one of our country's national tresasures. He dreams of going to Memphis - to Graceland of course. "Have you been" he asked. I felt a twinge of guilt when I had to admit that I hadn't been.

He spoke reverently about the King - he performs about 80 of the over 850 songs recorded by Elvis. He even performs a couple of the gospel songs - "Amazing Grace" and "How Great Thou Art" - of course he would not be performing these songs for this event. Tonight he says he is "wearing the leather". He talked about Springsteen being a big fan and that he had written a song he intended for Elvis to record and that Bruce had once "crashed the gates" at Graceland at trying to get in to meet him. He competes yearly in Blackpool, England with other impersonators for bragging rights about who is the closest to Elvis. This year at the January competition he made the semi-finals. He says he has of course watched many hours of Elvis - but doesn't try to duplicate his moves exactly - rather he has learned to feel like Elvis - the moves are now his own.

We must have talked for more than an hour over dinner and a few glasses of wine before it was time for his performance and by then I have to say I was looking forward to it. He wanted to know my favorite Elvis song, without hesitation I answered "Heartbreak Hotel". The time had come and he took the "stage" an area between the pool and the house. His jacket collar stood up, he was dressed head-to-toe in black leather. His first song: "Hearbreak Hotel". He had Elvis's swagger and for that time he had become the King. No wonder some say Elvis is still alive, last night I had dinner with him. Maybe next year I will go to Graceland

A link to a news article about the Blackpool Elvis competition: http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpoolnews/Elvis-impersonators-flock-to-Blackpool.5970779.jp

No comments:

Post a Comment